Friday, June 20, 2014

It's my most favourite time of the year!

The sun is shining. things are growing and there's food ripe for the picking and preserving.  Ah, summer is nearly here and I'm in heaven. 

I'm in awe of how much our garden changes from week to week.

At first, it wasn't much to look at.


With some weeding and 1 cubic yeard of dirt, we got it planted. Remember how it looked on May 7?

Here are the first sprouts on May 11.
May 18
May 24
 

Ooh radishes are ready May 30!


But we lose our onions to root rot and replace them and the finished radish with cabbage and cauliflower.  June 13.

Ooh boy there are lots of greens to be had!
And June also means strawberry season! My sister and I picked 50 lbs.  Into the freezer 40 lbs go and I will make jam in the near future.  We got a great deal at $1.49/lb so my 40 lbs was $62.00.  Each of those pails held about 5lbs.

The spinach just finished up on June 17 (it started to bolt) and the chard isn't far behind.  Time to plan the next planting and it's raspberry picking time on Sunday.

My little piece of heaven, right here.

1 comment: