Thursday, March 10, 2011

Birthday sewing

I've been having the sewing bug for a while now. Other than a simple fleece hat and pants, I haven't done a lot of sewing lately. I have a bunch of cute fabric, but no toddler sized patterns. I'm very much a pattern oriented sewer. If I don't have something in front of me to trace, I can't wrap my head around it.

Last night I pulled out Angry Chicken's book Bend the Rules Sewing and whipped up the Sweet Wee Jacket. I was very simple to sew and I'm already looking forward to making a bunch of variations for Anna. Since I hadn't blown up the pattern from the book, I took an old cardigan of hers, folded it in half and just traced around it bigger.

IMG_2641

I've also wanted to make a birthday outfit and lo and behold, while surfing the net this morning I came across Made By Rae and her awesome patternm Itty Bitty Baby Dress. So, while Anna napped today, her birthday dress was sewn. I didn't have any piping, so I skipped that detail. The bodice is lined with the same fabric as the outside and the butterfly is cut out of the fabric and ironed on. The tattoo fabric is Alexander Henry.

IMG_2645

These projects have fired up a desire to do more sewing. It's just hard to get everything planned out and done while Anna sleeps. Now, if only Fabricland would come back to my city and I didn't have to travel to shop. I guess that does keep the impulse spending down though!

No comments:

Post a Comment