Monday, January 11, 2010

The elephant in the room

The conversation I've been dreading came up with my Perinatologist today. "Where are you planning on giving birth?"

I had my first bit of pregnancy input from him that I didn't appreciate. He's got the typical OB attitude towards homebirth and the safety of it. I can't wait to see my midwife next week for some positive feedback.

My intention is not to put my baby at harm. If I can birth at home and my midwives feel it's safe, then I will birth at home. If we have any trepiditions about homebirth, then of course, I will birth in the hospital.

Anyways...onto the more positive.

Weight is up 26lbs. I had a bit of sugar and protein in my urine this time. Blood pressure is slightly higher but not high for me. None of this was worrisome to Dr. F. He confirmed that my Glucose Tolerance test came back low and my blood counts are nice and high.

He was able to palpate baby's position and she was head-down with her back to my right side.

Today I am thankful for a supportive husband and a network of strong, homebirthing women I can bounce this off of online. My good friend J has also birthed at home with my midwives. I need positive affirmations from here on in.

To boost my spirits, I stopped by the local birth store and bought myself The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears and tried on nursing bras to figure out my size, which she didn't have in right now.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! I would love to try a home birth myself but the midwives here said I was not a low risk patient so blah! At least we'll have our doula there though!

    I hope you get the birth you want. Nothing scares me more than a c-section :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a nice homebirth with Wesley. I don't know what risk level I was at, possibly moderate, as I am technically a VBAC, have anemia and had hemmoraged after birth in the past (no transfusion though).

    Anyways, my midwives were more than competant when we had a complication, there was never really any moment of oh crap or anything. I am positive had I been birthing with an OB I would have had an episiotomy. Wesley tried to be born with both shoulders presenting, because he's a jerk (was also five days late - see? jerk). So, thems my story, and if I can do it, so can you. Good luck and happy birthing.

    ReplyDelete