Thursday, January 21, 2010

28wk midwife visit

Had an excellent midwife visit tonight. The only downside is that some political stuff has happened recently and the practice split in half. One of my midwives retired and a new 3rd will be joining the practice soon.

We started having some more in-depth discussions about the birth and at what point we can say "homebirth" for sure. She thinks my Peri will still want another scan to check for growth but everything so far is looking good. Like she said though, things can change right up until labour! I don't need to start gathering home birth supplies until 37wks, since they can't deliver me at home before that. Really, the main thing I need that I don't normally have on hand are chux pads and a plastic sheet for the bed. We talked about labouring/birthing in a tub and the pros/cons of renting a birth tub....which I don't think we'll bother with. I think we'll try and use our own bathtub.

Baby was head down today with her back on my left side. HR was 150BPM which it has consistently been this whole time. My BP was 112/50. Low eh? Weight is up 27lbs and my fundal height is measuring 32. See, I KNEW I had a major growth spurt recently because I've been measuring exactly on before this point.

The coolest news of all? If baby turns breech it's not an automatic c-section!!! Especially since I have a 'proven pelvis'. My old local OB will do vaginal breech births! She assured me not to worry about breech until 34 weeks though.

One thing that does suck though....if I end up testing positive for group b strep, they have to administer the first dose of antibiotics in the hospital and sometimes planned homebirths don't make it back home in time to deliver.

It was an all in all, reassuring appt that answered a lot of my questions. Blake got to meet a midwife he hadn't met yet and have his questions answered too.

I love how laid back and reassuring the midwives are.

1 comment:

  1. That's great. Sounds like an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete